Pages

Tuesday 14 January 2014

Dealing With A 12 Month Wait

I had my first appointment with my surgeon 12 months ago and at the time I weighed 113 kg.
Because I needed to upgrade my level of private health insurance to cover my operation I had to wait 12 months before I could have the surgery.
At the time my surgeon warned me not to just go out and eat like I would never eat again.  He said it was quite normal for people to put on weight once they knew they were having bariatric surgery.  But for most people the damage they can do is relatively minor as their surgery is in the not to distant future.
So with 12 months up my sleeve I had to be very careful.
For the first half of my 12 month wait it felt like it was so far in the future that I didn't think about it that much and life went on as per normal.  But as the day has gotten closer the reality has started to set in and with 4 weeks to go my mind is consumed with thoughts about the operation and my future eating habits.

I had read about people having last suppers and going on massive binges before their operation.  It was something I could not really understand.  I mean if you are having a gastric sleeve you will be able to go back to eating most things just in smaller amounts.

But you know what?  I have been thinking about foods as I eat them wondering if this will be the last time I eat them.  I am not someone who eats junk food on a regular basis and I would say that it would be less than once per month that I ate chocolate, chips, burgers or any other type of take away.  But the other day I went and had a burger from those big golden arches.  It is not somewhere I eat that often but for some reason I felt I needed to go.
And since then it is like my subconscious has taken over because all I can think of are the things I want to eat before I have my op.  And the things I want to eat are not take away foods.  On the list is steak and roast lamb.  And I also want to go out for a really fancy 3 course meal.  There is nothing else at this stage but I am sure there will be in the weeks to come as I count down.
The main thing with only 4 weeks to go is that I have managed to limit my weight gain to just 3 kg.  I plan to do some cutting back before I go on my shakes so hopefully I will get rid of that 3 kg.

I really appreciate any comments you take the time to leave.  Feel free to ask questions.

If you are on this journey too or any other type of weight loss journey feel free to say hello and share your story.

No comments: