Pages

Thursday 30 January 2014

Pre Op Diet Starts



So the time has come for me to start my 2 week pre op diet.  The purpose of the pre op diet is to shrink the liver by stripping away the excess fat and glycogen.    A big fatty liver is a fragile thing so a smaller liver makes the surgery much safer.
To be honest this is the stage I have been dreading the most.  I am worried I will be hungry and won't be able to stick to it and then my surgery will be cancelled because my liver has not shrunk.

So the idea of the diet is to replace all of your meals with shakes and you can also have some green veggies and diet jelly.  The idea is to send you body into a state of Ketosis which reduces your hunger.  The dietitian explained it to me like this:  After 3 days of very limited carbohydrate intake and very low calorie intake your body thinks there is a famine so it shuts of your hunger signals and starts to convert the fat stores in your body to fuel.

So for the next 2 weeks I will be on 3 Optislim shakes a day, as much diet jelly as I want (the dietitian said it will not matter if I use this as a stomach filler as there is no calories or carbs) and I can have 2 cups of  green veggies (no potatoes, sweet potatoes, pumpkin, corn, parsnip, legumes or any starchy veggies) a day as well 1 cup of berries (blueberries, raspberries or strawberries) and water, black tea, coffee and herbal tea.  You also need too take a fiber supplement like Metamucil.

I can use as many herbs and spices as I want so I think stir fry will be a regular meal.  I plan on having a shake for breakfast, my berries for morning tea, another shake for lunch, a late afternoon shake and then veggies for dinner.  The dietitian also said that if I was ever hungry I should eat, celery sticks, cucumber and carrots as these would not impact my weight loss.

So here goes.  I hope it is not too hard.  No I will not think like that.  I will look at my vision board to remind me why I am doing this.

I really appreciate any comments you take the time to leave.  Feel free to ask questions.

If you are on this journey too or any other type of weight loss journey feel free to say hello and share your story.


No comments: