Pages

Wednesday 26 February 2014

Dietitian Appointments

Before I went in for my surgery I had 2 appointments with my dietitian.  The first covered my pre op diet and the second covered what to expect in hospital and the first 2 weeks post op.

One of the things my dietitian drilled into me was the fact that my surgeon Michael Hatzafotis was very strict in the post op liquid phase compared to other surgeons as he likes everything to be as low risk to the patient as possible.  I have to say that as that patient that is a very reassuring thought and I am sure is what contributes to his zero complication rate.
I did not realise quite how different the process could be but now I understand that every surgeon has very different perspectives on the post op phases.

Michael keeps you nil by mouth for 3 days in hospital before getting you to do your barrium swallow test and then keeps you on very small and measured amounts for the next 10 days.  Some surgeons get you to do your barrium the day after your surgery and if all goes well you are straight on to liquids.  Then once you are on liquids every surgeon differs as to how much and what they want you to be drinking.

My third dietitian appointment today was all about moving on to the puree food stage.  He really pressed apon me the need to take it slowly and not force it.  He explained to me that it was important to start off with food that was more watery and over the two weeks move to thicker and thicker consistency.  He explained that if the puree was too thick I would end up feeling too full too quickly and this would prevent me from getting enough food in to get enough nutrients.

He has given me some examples of food that I should be trying to eat in a pureed form and I have asked about some other meals that might work as well.

Now that I have the go ahead and I know when I can stat on the puree I am really excited.  I am so looking forward to something other than shakes.  In fact today I got a bit desperate and ate a piece of cheese.  well actually I sucked on it until it dissolved in my mouth and it tasted sooooo good.  But then I had a big panic that I was going to hurt myself so I have vowed not to do it again.

I am going shopping tomorrow to get some supplies to cook up meals and freeze it into portions to cover me for the period I am on puree food.
And the most exciting thing the dietitian told me today was that for the second week of my 2 week puree phase I can eat Cruskits.  Cruskits are allowed as they dissolve in your mouth when you eat them.  But it will still be exciting to eat something with some texture.

I really appreciate any comments you take the time to leave.  Feel free to ask questions.

If you are on this journey too or any other type of weight loss journey feel free to say hello and share your story.

No comments: