Pages

Friday 14 February 2014

Operation Day

So was time to head off to hospital and this is how the day progressed.

I was first surgery of the day (8am) which means I had to be at the hospital at 6.30 am.  Because we live out in the country Hubby and I stayed at his parents the night before.  I was told that all I need to do before coming in was to have a shower and wash myself well with soap and water.
On arrival at the hospital I filled in some paperwork and paid my excess then there was a short wait in the surgical admissions area.  A nurse then came and got me and I was weighed and asked a series of questions. From there I was taken to a cubicle with a bed where I was provided with a hospital gown and some undies for surgery.  Thankfully these were not the paper undies that you may have hear of.  They were more like a pair of very stretchy hot pants made of what I can only describe as thick pantyhose material.
They were really comfy and meanwhile I was provided with a green bag like you would get at the supermarket, to put all of my clothes in.
I relaxed on the bed for about 15 minutes in which time a nurse came and did an ECG and another came and helped me get some pressure stockings on.  I was then visited by the anesthetist where I explained to him that I always felt very ill after anesthetic and he assured me they were all aware of it and would look after me.  A bit more of a rest and it was time to kiss Hubby goodbye as I was wheeled off to surgery.

Once in the surgical outer room I was met but a lovely nurse and the anesthetist again and I had a canular put in my arm.  I do remember lying there wondering if I was making the right decision but by then it was really too late and I knew that I had waited an entire year so I had thought this through and it was the right thing to do.  I was given an oxygen mask to put on and was wheeled into the operating theatre.  I was transferred to the operating table and slowly drifted off to sleep.

The next thing I know I was waking up and my oxygen mask was being replaced with a nose plug.  The rest of the day is a bit of a blur but I do remember being woken every few hours for obs where I was required to provide my name and date of birth.  My pain medication and anti nausea medication we kept up to date and I was not in much pain at all, just a little uncomfortable.

From what I know my experience is pretty typical and all went smoothly for which I am glad.

I really appreciate any comments you take the time to leave.  Feel free to ask questions.

If you are on this journey too or any other type of weight loss journey feel free to say hello and share your story.

No comments: