Pages

Monday 17 February 2014

Swallow Test and Finally Getting to Drink (If you can call it that)

During the night my canular tissued which basically meant that my IV fluids were going into the tissue of my arm not into the vein.  I woke up in the middle of the night with a very swollen arm and a nurse had to come and put a new one in my other arm.  My body will reabsorb all of the excess fluid over the next few days but I sure am glad I did not have m wedding ring on.

So today is the day we get to test out the holding ability of my new stomach and make sure there is nothing leaking out.  All going well and the X-Rays not showing any leaks I would be able to start drinking water later in the day.

At about 8am a nurse came with a wheelchair to get me and we set off for the X-Ray department.  I was still feeling a bit unwell from the anesthetic but it was definitely better than the past few days.
When we got to X-Ray i waited for a few minutes in the wheel chair in the waiting room before being wheeled into the actual X-Ray room.

Once there I had to stand in front of the X-Ray machine and the X-Rays were taken on 3 different angles. The Barium solution was given to me in a plastic glass and the instructions were that I had to take a small sip, hold it in my mouth until the radiologist told me to swallow.  I did this 3 times so they could get the 3 different angle X-rays.

I had heard that the barium solution tasted awful but that does not even begin to explain it.  It is some really foul tasting liquid that they try and disguise the taste of with a super sweet glucose solution type stuff.

After 4 days of not being able to drink anything at all it was a pretty awful first drink.  After the X-Ray they asked if I wanted to wash my mouth out with water.  YES PLEASE.

Thankfully the taste did not linger too long and was gone by the time I was wheeled back to my room.  I was starting to feel much better and so I chilled out watching TV until the nurses came and told me my X-Ray results were back and I was fine to start drinking.

At this stage I am allowed to drink 15mls of water every 15 minutes, which is basically half a shot glass so you can imagine that this is hardly quenching your thirst.  Because of how little you are able to drink I still had an IV in my arm but at a reduced rate.  To make sure I was remembering to drink every 15 minutes I used the timer on my mobile phone.

It was so good to be able to swallow liquid again and refresh my mouth but I know I am going to get sick of hearing that beep every 15 minutes.


I really appreciate any comments you take the time to leave.  Feel free to ask questions.

If you are on this journey too or any other type of weight loss journey feel free to say hello and share your story.

No comments: