Pages

Sunday 16 February 2014

Hospital Stay

Let me tell you about the my hospital stay.  I had my own room with bathroom, visitors chair and TV with all the free to air channels as well as some pay TV channels too.

The day of my operation and the next 2 days were not the most fun times.  I am not someone who copes well with the after effects of anesthetic and it makes me very very nauseous.  My surgeon was aware of this and so were all of the nurses so they kept me well topped up with anti nausea medication.  Even still I felt really sick each time I got up to go to the bathroom and a coupe of times I started heaving.  This was something I was really worried about as I was concerned that I would damage the staple line on my stomach. Thankfully my stomach only heaved a couple of times and by the time I got back to bed it settled down.

The nurses were great and they made sure I always had my pain in check and was comfortable.  They encouraged me to get up and walk as often as I could and were always happy for a chat as they did their observations.  Dr Hatzafotis visited each day to check on my healing and to see how I was going.  I was happy to just rest since I was not feeling well and other than having a shower I did nothing at all for the first 3 days.  I stayed in a hospital gown for my entire stay as it was so much easier with the IV in my arm.  Plus I was not having visitors other than Hubby so I was not worried about how I looked.

I had my surgery on Friday morning and I was not having my swallow test (more about that in another post) until Monday so that entire time I was was nil by mouth.  So that means I was not even allowed to sip water. I had to be really careful when brushing my teeth as the temptation was there.  I never felt thirsty and I guess that is because the IV fluids were quite high.

Overall I was really happy with my hospital stay and all of the doctors and nurses were great.  I will tell you about the last 2 days of my stay next time.

I really appreciate any comments you take the time to leave.  Feel free to ask questions.

If you are on this journey too or any other type of weight loss journey feel free to say hello and share your story.

No comments: