Pages

Tuesday 25 February 2014

Recovery Phase Liquids Only

For the past week I have been recovering from my operation at my in-laws and I will be here until the end of the week.  I am staying here as we live an hour an a half away from the hospital and my surgeon wanted me to be a bit closer for the first week and a half in case there were any issues.

For the most part my day has involved reading, snoozing and watching a few movies and tv series that friends downloaded for me.  I have not been in any real pain just a bit of discomfort.  I am taking panadol 4 times a day and that is all I have needed.  All of this interrupted by my alarm going off every 15 minutes reminding me to drink my 15mls/30mls of shake.  When I first went on to liquids it was 15 mls every 15 minutes but for the last 4 days it has been 30mls every 15 minutes.

I know that this seems like the most ridiculously small amount to be consuming but I have not felt at all hungry and at times it has been a bit of an effort to get it all down without being turned off the taste.  Following surgery the inside of your stomach is swollen and until the swelling goes down the internal capacity is about the size of a drinking straw.  This slowly goes down over the 2 weeks following surgery but this is why you have to pace your self with the liquids.

I am really missing real food and every night when dinner is being cooked my mouth waters.  The shakes are starting to taste really yuck but I know it is important to be drinking them to get my full nutrient intake.  As well as my shakes I am managing to drink a bit of fruit juice and some water but it is a strange feeling to never feel hungry when you are consuming so little.

I tried a cup of tea today, well I should say half a cup of tea, but I could not drink it all before it went cold and I ended up reheating it in the microwave. But a reheated cup of tea is not really the same.

Every day I have been for a walk and gradually I am feeling up to walking a bit further.  The first day I was only up to walking to the end of the street and back (about 800m) but today my mother in law and I walked around the suburb which was about 2km.

I am feeling quite low in energy but I think this is more to do with my body healing than how much I am consuming.  I am sure it will improve over time and hopefully when I go back to work next week I will have enough energy to not need to take any more time off.

One thing I have noticed is that I need to have a few sips of water as soon as I wake in the morning before I even get out of bed.  My stomach kind of feels like it is all dry and needs some lubrication.  Only once I have done this do I feel well enough to get up.  I think I must be quite dehydrated when I wake up.

I am sure this will not last but I do not remember anyone else mentioning this.

I really appreciate any comments you take the time to leave.  Feel free to ask questions.

If you are on this journey too or any other type of weight loss journey feel free to say hello and share your story.

No comments: